Friday 2 April 2010

Modeling the Fly

For the fly, i started with a sphere and made the head. I did not want the head to be a perfect round shape so i used the select and non-uniform scale tool. I then squashed the sphere downwards. Just like the man, i created the eyes in the same way. I made one sphere and used the material editor. I used the same eye as the man model. I applied it by going on maps, diffuse, bitmap and selected the file. Once i dragged the material on to the eye and the pupils were rotated at the right place, i then cloned it to make the second eye. The reason for this is so that the eyes are equal. otherwise, if i had created two separate spheres, it would have been possible to do but it would have taken me a long time to get it in the right size and angle.  


I created the body by using a sphere again. I used the scale tool to make it narrower and pointier at the bottom. I cut off the top bit of the sphere as i was going to put the head i already made to go on top of the body.
I used the extrude tool to pull out the arms and legs and i also used the bevel tool to make the tips wider, with an illusion of hands and feet.
I also created the wings using a plane. there were many ways of doing it, however, i decided to only make one side of the wing and mirrored it so the wings perfectly even. I used the symmetry modifier, selected mirror and flipped from the X axis.

 
Once i had all the fly body parts, i put them all together and assigned ID tags. As you can see, there are two different colours; black and yellow. Out of all the colours, i chose theses too as it looks like a bumble bee. Other colours wouldn't have been as good as this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment